Thursday, April 24, 2008

DAY Hmmm? ...I CALL INTERFERENCE!

Hello again after my 2 weeks on a cruise ship around the southeast, the Bahamas a bit, and Bermuda. It was nice for sure, who can complain? I CAN! It ain’t too too easy to feast on a ship. I would have rather not had to go. I had to accompany my employer who sprung it on me after I started the juice feast. She had already planned to be away and I thought that was perfect; I'll stay home and feast! Then, at the last minute, she changed her mind and had me come along. This feast is very important to me, it's been something I have wanted to do for three years and tied to start a few times. So I finally succeeded and at day 37 had the uncontrollable plunged into it. I'm a bit pissed at the circumstances to be honest.
(THE SHIP; REGENT " NAVIGATIOR", HAMILTON, BERMUDA)(1/2 OF MY ROOM)
The trip was wonderful; a Regent Cruise of only about 300 people. Regent service is really fabulous. The staff was great. If I had not been feasting the exec chef would have made me some raw dishes, he really wanted to and he kept offering, I think he was excited about it. Drat, mmm I would have loved two weeks of raw meals in the elegant dining room while I sat at dinner every night amongst people eating steak and cheese and drinking champagne and eating chocolate soufflés with heavy cream. Not that the SAD food was tempting, but the weird green juices certainly were not. They just couldn’t make em really right.
(NASSAU, BAHAMAS)

They treated me like a princess. Prior to embarking the food and bev manager had me send a list of all that I needed them to stock for me; any organic produce I wanted, I also asked for Hemp oil and Coconut oil and they got me everything except organic purple asparagus! It was wonderful that room service brought me 5 glasses of juice 4 times a day, which sounds great and I was really thrilled at the start. I lounged by the pool in the sun the first day out and a gracious waiter delivered me juice. They wanted to make me a desert juice which was strawberry-something but it was always and inch of juice on top of 3 inches of puree, so I didn't drink that (not enough to bother straining and I really wasn't doing fruit anyway). So after a couple days realizing this trend I asked for only green juices.
They started coming to me really pulpy too; like half of each glass was undrinkable mush. They probably had a juicer that didn’t do greens really well. I strained it through a nut milk bag but then I was only getting half my intake of liquid for the first week. I finally got to express this problem to the person responsible for making my juice (they would not let me in the kitchen to juice for myself) and he resolved the problem. But the juices were TOTALLY GROSS! What combos they were making me I have no idea; radish kale spinach? Burdock cabbage cilantro? So for the first 6 days I gagged them down and kept on track.(CHARELSTON, S.C. TALKING KITTY)

Alas I was not able to take any juice off ship on days we were in ports. Customs and port authority would check bags. So every other day or so when I went with my employer off ship I would water fast from 9 am to 5 pm. THAT whole scenario of the first week sunk me. PISS! I crashed. Having only the half amount of juice one day then water the following day didn't fly. I grabbed a bag of prunes in Bermuda and proceeded into a week of modified feast; and I didn't eat organic in ports. I had prunes. Fruits or simple salads and then had whatever juices they made me back on ship for dinner and did all my quantity of juices only on days we were at sea. BLECK. I really think I coulda done it all the way thru if I stayed in my own environment. And to have two weeks of getting out of the loop of my routine making my own juice has made me lazy.
I am not thrilled to get back into the labor of it.
I could use some DRILL SARGENT STYLE ENCOURAGEMENT!



I am back in the game and missed about 7 days. So I guess for me it is DAY 48? Calling it day 1 again...I would just stop here and fail. I have to pick up and go on, like nothing happened!

I have some pangs of feeling a little bitter like some other people f#%ed me up. My friend Stephanie is doing really really well and I wanted to be in sync with her this whole journey and celebrate the grand finale together. Now I will feast a week longer after she has had her big celebration day. Makes me a little sad. It was gonna end on my B-day had I stayed on course. I know there are important issues out there in the big trying world. I'm kinda being a giant baby. Getting back into this aint too easy for me, keeping the momentum woulda been a lot easier.
But I still feel great. Went for a 2 hour run/ uphill hike today in Runyon Cyn.(BEAUTIFUL BRIDGE, FOG, CHEMTRAILS)

OOOOH! And that first week out I got my period and after 35 days of feasting it was a total cinch! I usually get hell-cramps, there were NONE! And no bloat, and the pd. itself hardly existed. I didn't even have to use any liners let alone tampons. I used nothing. That rocked!
My psoriasis is the same as it was before the start of my juice feast; 'cept a little worse for the last 30 days and static.
(MY DECK ON THE OCEAN)

I love being out there in the great wide open world. But I love being home with my sweet kitty Little Paw...
.

HOPE YOU ARE ALL DOING WELL OUT THERE WITH YOUR SUPERMEGA WILLPOWER!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sorry that your cruise wasn't the best for you. I have to give you credit for sticking it out the way you did. It had to be difficult. I am glad to see that you are picking up and going on. You will get there. Be mad, be pissed, be sad, let it come and then let it go. You will feel so much better if you truly allow yourself to feel what is there. Be a baby! It's OK. (It's really not being a baby, it's just being a human :o)

I wish you much luck with the next leg of your journey. I know you will get your second wind and you will sail through it.

PS the pictures are beautiful!

Ben Kaelan said...

Hey!

That's quite an adventure! I think you should be proud of yourself that you managed to do so well given such bizarre circumstances. You're a juicy hero in my book.

The psoriasis is weird. My legs were completely healed and at the last minute, a few patches came back. The insides of my forearms are completely healed, while the outer parts are not doing so well. I'm almost convinced that the P migrated from my lower chest to my upper chest. Change is happening... something is going on... I just don't know what is next. I do know that I've done all I can from a nutritional/body detox point of view. Consequently, the next step will be to investigate the emotional part.

I'm pretty certain there is a strong psychosomatic influence at work. Check out my blog to read about Louise Hay's "You can heal your life". She has affirmations you can do to heal psoriasis. I'm also planning to go see a therapist to help me release pent up anger and resentment and help me forgive the torture that was inflicted on me as a child. I think maybe that has a big something to do with this.

Best of luck and keep me posted! :)

- Ben

Great to have you back!

MARYYX said...

Hey Mish
It sounds to me like you handled a difficult situation very well. I'm proud of you.

I just looked at my own progess since the middle of March. I have had several false starts; but I was surprised when I really looked at it that I have accomplished close to 40 days of feasting. There have been breaks where I was doing green smoothies, or eating salads - but very little eating, since March 11, that was anything but healthy and raw.

If you hadn't made the choice you did, you probably would have gotten sick.

So - I'm with you - don't go back to day 1. Just pick up where you left off. You're doing a wonderful job.

Maryyx